"Rep. [Kenneth] Sheets' bill does a good thing, but it only goes partway," said Bryan Blevins, president of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association. "We'd like to see it go further. We think the problem is bigger."
- Jury Awards $3.7M in Damages, Fees Against Energy Transfer
- Judge Gets Discipline After Violating Own Facebook Order
- Jackson Walker Helps in Over $21 Million Qui Tam Settlement
- Justices Disagree About Splitting 13th Court of Appeals
- The 2015 Am Law 100: Rich and Richer
- Slideshow: 2014 Financial Summaries for Top 25 Firms
Lawyers would no longer have to pay the $200 annual occupations tax if lawmakers pass a bill that the Texas House recently approved.
A judge has appointed Houston attorneys Kent Schaffer and Brian Wice to investigate a complaint against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton that alleged that he committed a felony under state securities law.
Last week Houston-based Enterprise Products Partners won a jury verdict in a Houston district court in its breach of contract claim against Energy Transfer Partners. The jury found that Dallas-based Energy Transfer breached its contract with Enterprise by failing to properly maintain the Old Ocean natural gas pipeline so Enterprise could service its broad customer base in the Gulf Coast area. The jury awarded Enterprise $2.2 million in lease payment reimbursements and $1.5 million in legal fees after the four-week trial.
State Sen. Troy Fraser, R-Horseshoe Bay, recently introduced a new piece of legislation—Senate Bill 1945—that is aimed at opening up municipal electric power providers such as Austin Energy to deregulation.
- CPM TRUST, KLM SECURE TRUST, AND RMP PARKER CENTRAL, LLC, Appellants v. CITY OF PLANO, TEXAS AND THE BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT OF THE CITY OF PLANO, TEXAS, Appellees
- JERRY MICHAEL CHANCE D/B/A OUTER LIMITS GAMEROOM, Appellant, v. ELLIOT & LILLIAN, LLC, Appellee.
- M. KATHLEEN MCKINNEY, Regional Director of Region Fifteen of the National Labor Relations Board, for and on behalf of the National Labor Relations Board, Plaintiff - Appellee v. CREATIVE VISION RESOURCES, L.L.C., Defendant - Appellant
- WALTER POWERS, JR., individually, and in his capacity of President of the Fraternal Order of Police, Crescent City Lodge #2, and its Members; FREDERICK C. MORTON, Plaintiffs - Appellants [...] v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; POLICE ASSOCIATION OF NEW ORLEANS; MICHAEL GLASSER, individually and as President of the Police Association of New Orleans, Inc., Intervenors - Appellees, CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, Defendant - Cross-Defendant - Appellee, MITCHELL J. LANDRIEU, in his official capacity as the mayor/ch [...]
The Annual Report on Firm Finance also includes a Profitability Index, which shows whether equity partners in a firm are taking home more or less than average RPL, and a firm-by-firm analysis that helps to explain financial results from each of the top 25 firms.
The number of new partners in 2015 at 22 of the 25 firms with the most lawyers in Texas down by 7.3 percent compared with 2014.